Strategies Good Readers Use
Look at the title
- Look at the bold words and/or illustrations
- Think about the topic
- Think about what you already know about the topic ... what is your background knowledge and how can that help you?
- Think about what you want to find out
- Predict what the story will be about
- Visualize! Create a picture or movie in your mind based on what you are reading about.
- If you come to a hard word... Sound it out! If you still can't get it...skip it! Keep reading and see what word would make the most sense!
- Ask questions
- Make predictions
- Check/modify predictions
- Reread if parts do not make sense
- Use context clues to help with difficult words
- Retell parts of the story
- Summarize/retell important information
- Link the story to your life! Does it remind you of anything you have seen or done or of anyone you know?
- Reread to answer questions
- Think about questions you still might have
- Look for additional information on the topic
- Summarize the story using a topic sentence, details and a concluding sentence