Look at the title.
- Look at the bold words and/or illustrations.
- Think about the topic.
- Think about what you already know about the topic ... what is your background knowledge and how can that help you?
- Think about what you want to find out.
- Predict what the story will be about.
- Visualize! Create a picture or movie in your mind based on what you are reading about.
- If you come to a hard word...Sount it out! If you still can't get it...skip it! Keep reading and see what word would make the most sense!
- Ask questions.
- Make predictions
- Check/modify predictions.
- Reread if parts do not make sense.
- Use context clues to help with difficult words.
- Retell parts of the story.
- Summarize/retell important information.
- Link the story to your life! Does it remind you of anything you have seen or done or of anyone you know?
- Reread to answer questions.
- Think about questions you still might have.
- Look for additional information on the topic.
- Summarize the story using a topic sentence, details and a concluding sentence.