Helping Your Child Read At Home
- Find a comfortable spot away from distractions
- Predict what the story is about based on the cover, title and pictures inside
During Reading - Reading Strategies to Use –What should you do when you come to a tricky word?
- Use the pictures
- Look at the first letter and try to sound it out
- Tap it out
- Remember it must make sense
- Be sure your child finger-points as he/she reads
- Ask: What was their favorite part and why?
- What did the story make them think of or remind them of?
- What was the whole story about? (main idea)
*Always praise and encourage your child to let them know how well he/she is reading.