Parents' Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
(Approved by the North Merrick Board of Education)
Recommendation for the North Merrick UFSD Board of Education to approve the following Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security in accordance with recently passed New York State legislation and guidelines from the State Education Department:
The North Merrick Union Free School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of each and every student’s data. Parents should be aware of the following rights they have concerning their child’s dat
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record.
- The confidentiality of a student’s personally identifiable information is protected by existing state and federal laws, and safeguards such as encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State Education Department is available for public view at: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/ or by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863A, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234
- Parents have the right to file complaints about possible breaches of student data.
Parents may submit a complaint regarding a potential breach by the North Merrick Union Free School District to Deputy Superintendent Beth Friedman, 1057 Merrick Avenue, North Merrick, NY 11566. Complaints pertaining to the State Education or one of its third party vendors should be directed in writing to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234, or email to CPO@mail.nysed.gov. The complaint process is under development and will be established through regulations to be proposed by the State Education Department’s Chief Privacy Officer.
- The State Education Department’s Chief Privacy Officer will develop additional elements for this Parent’s Bill of Rights, which will be prescribed in Regulations of the Commissioner and updated by the District accordingly.
- Upon the adoption of regulations and guidance from the State Education Department, as required by Education Law 2-d(3)(d) and 2-d(5)(a-b), if the North Merrick Union Free School District enters into a contract with a third party in which student, teacher, or principal data is shared with a third party, supplemental information for each contract will be appended to this Parents’ Bill of Rights.
- Parents may access the State Education Department’s Parents’ Bill of Rights at: http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/bill-rights-data-privacy-and-security-parents-bill-rights