North Merrick History
The North Merrick School District, originally known as Union Free School District No. 29, was established in August 1921. The present name of North Merrick Union Free School District was adopted in 1972.
On September 21, 1921, school opened with an enrollment of 160 students, but without an official school building. Classes were held in a chapel on Richard Avenue, at the Camp Grounds, and the Fire Hall. The three trustees of the board of education then authorized raising $14,000 toward building an eight-room school on the present Camp Avenue site.
Camp Avenue School was completed in 1923 and had two expansions in 1939 and 1956.
North School was erected in 1950 and its name was changed to Harold D. Fayette in 1976 in honor of a former administrator.
Old Mill Road School was constructed in 1953 and was also expanded twice.
Over time, the enrollment rose to a high of 2,193 students, the largest enrollment of children in the district.
The district once included Meadowbrook Road School, built in 1956. It became the North Merrick Public Library in 1966.
The Dr. Irene H. Lenhart Administration Center and Garden were dedicated on September 5, 2006, in the Harold D. Fayette School building.
In 2015, the community approved a $14,650,000 bond proposition to address long-term facility needs. Projects financed under this bond are new boilers, upgraded ventilation systems, window replacements at Old Mill and Harold D. Fayette, site work, and security enhancements.
For the 2017-18 school year, there are approximately 1,200 children attending the North Merrick elementary schools, which are supported by an approved operating budget of $32,492,312.
The North Merrick School District takes pride in its ability to provide a quality education and in the achievements of its students.